How to find us
By Train: The nearest station is Farnborough (Main) which is on the line from London Waterloo to Southampton. The station is less than 10 minutes walk away. Turn right out of the station car park and walk along Union Street. Take the second road on the left into Station Road, then take the first road on the right into High View Road. The Church is at the end of this road.
By Road: Take junction 4 of the M3 to Farnborough. Follow signs to Farnborough Station. The postcode for sat navs is GU14 7PT.
Local Catholic Schools
The present Church of Our Lady and St. Dominic was formed by the Catholic community who used to worship in the Labour Hall in Cove Road. Salesian priests from South Farnborough celebrated Mass regularly at the Labour Hall in Cove Road from 1930 to 1949. As the population grew, the accommodation became more cramped and uncomfortable until it was obvious that action would have to be taken.
It was here that one of the original Catholic families of Cove, the Foleys, made a very generous offer of part of their land upon which the new church was to be built. In 1949, the Parish Priest, Father McCormick SDB, acted and a temporary chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes was built in High View Road. It was built under a ten-year licence in order to fill an urgent need for the Catholics of Cove who had no church in the immediate area in which to worship.
The Foley property at Cove included not only the ground of the chapel but also the adjacent houses known as “The Oaks” and “The Oaks Lodge”. “The Oaks” was at one time a boys’ school, founded by a Mr Greene in the 19th century; hence Greens’ School Lane, which led up to it from Victoria Road. When Mr Greene died in 1887, the school closed, but it was later opened as a Catholic school run by Mrs Foley and then by her daughter, Mrs Scott. When this school closed, both houses were given to extend the parish property. “The Oaks” was used as a social centre and catechism classes and “The Oaks Lodge” as a presbytery.
The 1970s were years of considerable change and extensive building. Firstly, “The Oaks” was demolished and a parish hall built, which was blessed and opened on 31 March 1973. Part of the parish land was sold to form the present High View Close and the money used towards the cost of the church. The foundation stone was laid on 10 December 1974 and the church opened on the feast of Our Lady of Ransom, 24 September 1975. The old chapel was demolished and the site used for a new presbytery, which was occupied on 18 August 1977.